Friday, October 16, 2009

bittersweet

My little bittersweet wreath was made in approximately three minutes. That includes the removal of leaves and connecting the vines. That was the easy part. It took me about 30 minutes to go out and tackle my way through the brush and another 20 to tug and pull at the vines while trying to maintain the precious berries.

Bittersweet is aptly named, because even though its bright yellow and orange fruits look so pretty, its vines are invasive and can kill trees and shrubs. I know, because I've been watching it kill my lilacs over the years. I've tried everything, save for chemicals, to eradicate it. I've pulled the vines from their roots until my back was too sore to move anymore. But they come back with a vengeance. So every fall, I give up my battle, and embrace their beauty. It's bittersweet.

Happy weekend!